Detroit Red Wings off to a bad start

Abbie Grias, Reporter

The Detroit Red Wings are an original six hockey team. The original six is one of the very first NHL teams. The Detroit Red Wings haven’t started off the way fans would have wanted. With the team being filled with young player’s fans expected a winning hockey team.

Last season former head coach Mike Babcock left the Red Wings to go coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Red Wings needed to find a coach and fast. The Red wings called up Jeff Blashill to coach for the 2015-2016 season.

The Detroit Red Wings have made the playoffs for 25 years straight. Last season they were at the bottom of leader board almost ending their season early. The Red Wings have the longest playoff streak in NHL history. This season, many fans do not believe that they can make it another year. Blashill is feeling pressured to make sure they continue this streak.

The 2016-2017 season started Wednesday October 12th and the Red wings have not yet produced a win. Many fans agree that Blashill is not meeting his full potential and is holding back.

“Honestly I am a bit disappointed with the start that we are having. I expected us to come out a bit stronger after the rough ending we had last year with the struggle of getting into the playoffs. With so many people thinking we won’t make it into the playoffs this year I think we have a lot to prove and have to step up our game quite a bit.  Being a Wings fan I am, I hope that things will get better, hopefully it’s sooner rather than later,” said Woodhaven High school senior Sam Dejongh.

This is the last year at the Joe Louis Arena. Red wings fans want to enjoy a last winning season at the Joe. With this rocky start, fans feel like it’s going to be a ‘let down’ of a season. “I think that if they get their team to work as one that they will have a better outcome during their games,” said WHS senior Sam DeMaggio.

“Based on the statistics right now, I predict that the Red Wings will not have a successful season unless they start producing more goals,” said  WHS Senior Katie Varney.