More than 13 reasons why

The second season will pick up at the start of the characters journey towards healing and recovery.

Netflix

Netflix

JaNae Covington, Staff Reporter

The show that has every student around Woodhaven High School talking has been renewed for a second season. That’s right, “13 Reasons Why” will officially have a second season.

“I love ‘13 Reasons Why’ for many reasons. So many people can relate to the characters in the show, myself included. Plus, it kept viewers on the edge of their seat. I live for a show that is constantly pulling me in,” said senior Jasmine Moore. She is not the only one who is head over heels for this show.

“‘13 Reasons Why’ is a great show. I would recommend this show to anyone, especially teens and high schoolers. Even though it is fictional, the problems faced in this show are problems that occur in any and probably every high school in the country. It is seriously a reality check for teens,” said senior Courtney Bitson.

This Netflix show is based on a popular 2007 young adult novel by Jay Asher. In the novel, Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, one of his classmates and crush, who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life.

“I read the novel before the show and loved it, so I was already really excited to see the show. The producers did not disappoint. The show was nothing less from phenomenal,” said Moore.

Bitson did not read the novel, however, after watching the show, she plans on reading the book in the near future.

Viewers can expect all of the original cast to be back for season two as it picks up in the aftermath of Hannah Baker’s death and the start of the characters’ complicated journeys toward healing and recovery. Executive producer, Selena Gomez announced the return of the series and social media has been booming ever since. However, the fact that there is not a second “13 Reasons Why” novel causes fear that the second season will stray too far from the intended meaning of the novel and ruin the show and novel altogether.

The novel “13 reasons why” has sold over three million copies.