AP exams: are you prepared?

Nicole Garland, Layout Editor

For all high school students, the end of the year is stressful whether it’s finals, graduation, prom, or life in general. However, some students have the added stress of Advanced Placement exams. AP exams are finals exams for high school classes that are set up for college credit. With college credit on the line, these exams are essential to pass or you may not get credit for the course through your selected college.

The test can seem intimidating for first time AP students. “I was scared the first time I took the exam, but I was confident I would do well,” said senior Kristian Knowles.

While AP classes can be a challenge, there are ways to make them easier. “I look over notes from class and occasionally search the internet for materials,” said junior Rachel Bowser.

From a teacher point of view, they provide their students with resources and materials to help students get the highest score possible, a 5. The scoring for an AP exam is from 1 to 5 (1 being the lowest score and 5 being the highest). In order to pass, you must get at least a 3 on the exam. “I recommend them getting ‘5 Steps to a 5’. I also provide them with review packets and a website with materials,” said Mr. Scheffler who teaches AP Physics.

With having the right resources and materials, you need study tips as well to stay organized and on topic. “Terminology for AP government is important because it links everything together. Also focusing on the main topic of the course that is going to be on a majority of the exam,” said Mr. Bannon who teaches AP Government.

Experienced AP students who have taken at least one exam have learned a thing or two about how to adapt to the AP environment and succeeding. “Seriously study! No practice is too much practice. Do not take it light heartedly because it can be harder than you think,” said Knowles.

Having the right materials and studying throughout the year is important, but don’t wait until the last minute to start preparing for the big day. “Don’t spend the night before studying. You already know what you are going to know. Keep your brain refreshed,” said Bowser.
Overall, AP classes along with their final exams can require you to be responsible and expand your horizons, but in the end it’s an accomplishment you earn. “It helped me mature and I found the need to study for things,” said Knowles.