Being forced to stand for the pledge

Cheyenne Bryant, Event Planner

Have you ever been so bothered you decided to write about it to voice your opinion of your thoughts? Well today i’m doing just that. Thursday September 14th, I was sitting in my class and the announcements were booming through the speaker. At the end the lady asked for all to rise for the pledge of the alliances. Everyone had rose accept for me and another girl during the end of the pledge, The teacher got mad that me and the girl sitting didn’t stand and went on to say if we don’t stand don’t bother coming to his class in the morning. It bothered me so much that I went and I texted my parents “Do I have to stand for the pledge?” My dad said no it’s my choice but, my mom told me yes why wouldn’t I? I began to break it down for her as to why.

“In 1943, the Supreme Court ruled in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that students in public schools cannot be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance or salute the American flag,” said https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/319/624. Therefore I or anyone else does not have to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance if not wanted to. It’s against mine and it’s against others constitutional rights. I stop standing for the pledge when I started learning more about my history of being a colored woman and more about the United States as a country. The United States of America is complete one sided country of committing loyalty. A corrupted blind patriotism brainwashed country. We lack so much knowledge, we instantly go off of what the first thing we heard instead of digging for deeper research and forming our own opinion. Forcing something onto someone, you are doing the opposite of freedom and because of this, you cannot claim to value freedom and liberty. Freedom is the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint. Freedom is having the option, the choice, the capability to decide for ourselves whether or not to say or do something. It is no longer freedom if we no longer have a choice in what to say or do.
  “I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all,”
 Patriot is a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors. In the pledge it states and I quote
“Liberty and justice for all,” America was supposedly found on a notion of freedom therefore if you don’t believe in justice for all then you are truly not a real patriot. I Cheyenne will stand to show respect to thoses who died in war but I will not recite the pledge of the allegiance. And by my rights I will not be forced to stand.