Conflicts with North Korea

Nick Sona, Photographer

Tensions have intensified between North Korea and the US after recent threats and nuclear testing. Although, this is nothing new, North Korea has been carrying out nuclear tests for over a decade. In 1985, North Korea signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty, whose aim is to limit the spreading of nuclear weapons, and use nuclear technology peacefully.

Years later, North Korea withdraws from the NPT on Jan 10, 2003. Then in 2006 North Korea claims to have conducted its first nuclear test. As a result, the United Nations Security Council enacted a number of sanctions. North Korea continued to test nuclear weapons, their second in 2009, third in 2013 and fourth and fifth in 2016.

In the beginning of the month, on Sep 3, 2017, they tested their sixth and most powerful nuclear weapon, eight times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb. Correspondingly creating a 6.3 magnitude event. Along with the testing came multiple sinister threats to Japan and the US. “We will sink Japan and turn the US into ashes and darkness,” said North Korea. After such allegations, the UN approved stronger sanctions on North Korea. These sanctions will cost them 1 billion a year, a great amount of money for such a poor country. The intention is for North Korea to stop testing, or at least start negotiating.

“The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea,” said President Donald Trump at his UN speech on Sep 19, 2017, also referring to Dictator Kim Jong Un as “rocket man”. Trump explains through the media that Jong Un is a madman and he will be tested by the US if he does not conclude his absurd actions. It appears that Trump is more than willing to use force if North Korea does not comply promptly.