• Spring Break! Be Safe Warriors 3/30/18 - 4/7/18

• SAT Testing 3/10/2018

• Choir Concert 3/8/18

• Snoball Pep Assembly & Game 2/23/18

• WHS Band Concert 2/22/18

Does homework really help?

Michelle McClintic, Assitant editor

Roughly seven hours a day at school, then for many high schoolers four or more hours at work, just to come home to several classes worth of homework, Do these mountains of homework actually help? Many students all over the world have homework in fact its very rare that someone doesn’t have homework after school children from kindergarten to senior year have homework but does it benefit students to have this extra work?

57 percent of parents felt their child was assigned about the right amount of homework. Another 23 percent thought it was too little, 19 percent thought it was too much, for students any homework is too much homework but does this actually help? Well, indeed it does tend to help memory in students, “The results of such studies suggest that homework can improve students’ scores on the class tests that come at the end of a topic. Students assigned homework in 2nd grade did better on math, 3rd and 4th graders did better on English skills and vocabulary, 5th graders on social studies, 9th through 12th graders on American history, and 12th graders on Shakespeare,” said writer for the independent UK news Harris Cooper is professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke, where he also directs the university’s Program in Education.

A Canadian couple in 2016 took their homework dilemma up to the Supreme Court of Canada. While arguing that there was no evidence that homework could improve academic performance, they won the ruling that exempted their two children from all homework, “A few studies can always be found to buttress whatever position is desired, while the counter-evidence is ignored,” writes the nation’s top homework scholar, Harris Cooper, in his 2006 homework meta-study at Duke University’s Department of Psychology and Neuroscience.

A survey done through the University of Michigan found that by the 2002-’03 school year, students ages 6 to 17 were doing twice as much homework as in 1981-’82. The homework ante has been upped as school administrators respond to increasing pressure for their students to perform better on state-mandated tests, the main goal as seen by many students is just to memorize and pass while doing whatever is possible, as a students seeing others writing cheat sheets on their arms or hiding them in their calculator tops on water bottles or even on their phones they will find a way around to pass the tests and find ways to avoid homework many students go around asking that one “smart friend” to copy work because they were too busy to do it themselves.

“Excessive amounts of homework varies by age, — Young adolescents in middle school,or high school, can study for longer periods of time, But for elementary/primary school students, even 30 minutes of homework a night, if combined with other sources of academic stress, can have a negative impact. Researchers in China have linked homework of two or more hours per night with sleep disruption — There is no evidence to support that this level of homework has clear academic benefits. Also, when parents and children conflict over homework, and strong negative emotions are created, homework can actually have a negative association with academic achievement,” said the independent UK news author Gerald K Letendre.